The seal of any organization is its badge of quality –a graphic illustration that tells those who see it just what it stands for. The IHM seal is an icon of the IHM mission statement. The seal of the Congregation is symbolic of the royal heritage of its members as adopted children of God and spouses of the King of kings.
The focal point, a heart, representing the Immaculate Heart of Mary, is pierced by a sword.
The three lilies symbolize the total dedication of the Sisters by their profession of the vows of chastity, poverty and obedience.
The words, Tota pulchra es, 0 Maria, from the Song of Songs (6:3), are translated: You are all beautiful, 0 Mary, and indicate the fidelity and purity of her Immaculate Heart.
The rays emanating from the heart, with a crown of 12 stars above it, refer to the Book of Revelation (12:1):
” … a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars.”
The year of the foundation of the Institute, 1845, is placed between the heart and the lilies and all is tied together within the double circle, a symbol of the two-fold commitment that the Sisters have vowed to Christ.
The gold circle signifies the primary aim –holiness; the blue narrower circle symbolizes the mission of the Congregation: to evangelize, to catechize, and to teach.