The discernment process for the IHM Sisters includes three initial phases:
- Come and See
- and Candidacy
Each stage is designed to introduce interested women, ordinarily ages 18–35, to religious life and to the IHM Congregation, and to help them to discern God’s call.
Come & See
Women discerning God’s call are invited to “come and see” our life through various events.
By “coming and seeing,” a discerner is able to:
- Pray with the Sisters
- Listen to God’s voice in the quiet of prayer
- Experience living community life
- Serve with the Sisters in our ministries
- Meet other women who are discerning religious life
- Meet our newer members who have taken the step of entering into discernment as postulants and novices.
If the thought of religious life has “crossed your mind,” join us for a retreat or service experience.
The IHM Pre-Candidacy Program is for women who have expressed a desire to discern a vocation to the IHM Congregation. It typically lasts from one to three years.
The purpose is to assist young women in discerning a particular call to the IHM Congregation.
During this time, young women meet with the vocation directress on a regular basis, participate in discernment/retreats, and visit IHM convents in order to interact with the Sisters and to experience prayer, community life and apostolic work with them.